Apr 27, 2007

a flurry of tzaziki

It is thick and white but won't be coming down from the sky. This flurry should be in kitchens all around, in a hurry to pop dipping options into brown bags the world over.

I thought flurry was a nice description of mixing up this recipe and/or filling a brown bag since for me that process is usually hurried. When I am really on top of my game, I make lunch the night before... but time and again I am throwing, chucking, shoving and grabbing all the nearest bagable items to rapidly insert into the bag on our way out the door: quick---before we are late! So, I make sure at least recipes are made the day/night before, to assist in my morning flurry. Recipes just are not going to happen at my house during the morning rush; but that is just me.

I made tzaziki so my boys could try it as a dip for cucumber half-moons, zucchini matchsticks and pita triangles. Turns out, one son prefers it with broccoli, another on pita with grilled (cold) lamb.

By the way, if my boys ate tomatoes, a pile of cherry tomatoes would be a perfect accompaniment with tzaziki; hopefully your kiddos like tomatoes. Tzaziki is a great partner for adding veggies to brown bags!

Quick facts I borrowed from Wikipedia:

  • Tzatziki is a Greek appetizer.
  • The Greek name is based on/means chutney.
  • Tzatziki is traditionally made with strained sheep/goat yogurt, cucumbers, onion, garlic.
  • It also might have: olive oil, vinegar and herbs (dill, mint, parsley).
  • It is often served with pita bread/flat bread, olives.
  • It is a standard condiment in Greek souvlaki and gyros.
  • Tzatziki is served cold.

I adapted a Tzatziki recipe from Barefoot Contessa:

Tzaziki

Kosher Salt & Coarse Pepper
2 cups plain (or Greek) yogurt
1 medium cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
1/2 cup sour cream
1T champagne/white wine vinegar
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh dill


Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth or paper towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. Grate the cucumber and toss it with 1 T of kosher salt; in another sieve. Place both bowls in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours so the yogurt and cucumber can drain. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can; mix/blend yogurt, cucumber, sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper. You can serve it immediately, but I prefer to allow the tzatziki to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend. Serve chilled or at room temperature.


A flurry of recipes:

4 comments:

Madame K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Madame K said...

My daughter can eat a pint of little cherry tomatoes in one sitting, but I'm not sure if she'd indulge in dipping.

I wish she would, as I LOVE tzatziki and everything it stands for!

(Sorry I noticed a typo the first time! :-D)

Anonymous said...

Your blog is making me so hungry! I'm always looking for things to get my kid to try. This looks wonderful!

Corporate Logo Design said...

Its very nice article and i appreciate you for such nice info.

Related Posts with Thumbnails