Jun 18, 2007

cheese sauce for veggies.

Cheese Sauce
1 T butter

2 T flour

1 1/4 whole milk

1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar

1/8 tsp grated nutmeg


Melt butter over medium low heat; add flour and stir for 1-2 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk. It will thicken and bubble 5-7 minutes. Off heat and stir in cheese and nutmeg.


I liked it. One out of two sons liked it. That counts for something, right? Any vehicle to get those kiddos to eat more veggies! It is a warm cheese sauce, and I lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower to dip into this cheese sauce.

The good news is, although I made it this first time with sharp cheddar, you can make it with swiss, fontina, gruyere, mozzarella, white cheddar, a touch of Parmesan, etc. Good melting cheeses with their distinct, family preferred flavors will clinch the deal on this cheese sauce!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm giving this one a try! My husband always wants a cheese sauce on his veggies - especially brocolli and brussel sprouts. This will make him very happy!

janelle said...

Good! I gobbled it up, almost as an appetizer. (But that is my secret: when my kids are hungry, I serve a veggie appetizer first!). I hope he likes it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails